Monday, March 19, 2012

Marathon Monday: Week 11 & getting down to business


Happy Monday, everyone! I hope you had a nice weekend and a fun St. Patrick's Day!

Training recap:

Mom and I at the 9/11 Memorial in NYC
The past three weeks have been absolutely insane. Between visitors and visiting friends and family, I haven't had a lot of time to devote to training. There are also some exciting changes emerging with work which are taking up extra time.

As I mentioned last week, my mileage has been significantly lower than what it should be. Part of it was due to injury, the other part was not making the time.

I've decided to clear out the next six weekends so I can really focus on this race. SIX WEEKS!  I can't believe it.  Time is speeding by and it's time to crack down and really follow my training schedule.

Although this week wasn't too bad in terms of mileage, I really want to get an 18-mile run in this weekend.  My calf is feeling much better and I didn't have any problems with it during my two longer runs this past week.  Mark my words, I WILL complete that 18-miler!

On a fun note, I spent Thursday-Sunday in New York City.  It was great to spend time with my mom (especially since I hadn't seen her since Christmas.)  We walked all over the city, visited the 9/11 Memorial, saw Jersey Boys, went out to delicious dinners, went shopping and enjoyed our time together.  Overall, great weekend!

Training this week:

Monday: 11 miles/8:52 pace

I got up early and did a long run in the AM before taking my friend to the airport. The sun was out, the wind was calm and it was the perfect temperature for shorts. I ran up to Lincoln, crossed The Potomac and ran towards the airport before turning around and coming home.

Tuesday: 60 minute spinning class

As I mentioned last week, I love going to my spinning class. I get a great cardiovascular workout in while letting my legs recover.

Wednesday: rest

Between work, packing and recovering from the weekend, I was much too tired to do anything today.

Thursday: 4 miles/9:17 pace

I sat on the bus for 4.5 hours on my way to NYC. The weather was muggy and the smog was too much for me to handle so I ran on the treadmill. Big mistake!

Friday: Active rest day; walking all over NYC

If you've visited NYC, you already know how much walking was done.

Saturday: 12 miles/9:08 pace

What an incredible run. I wish (honestly) that I could have continued because I know I could have done 18. That was my goal, but I wasn't able to get up in time to finish the run before our 10am commitment. I ran 2 laps around Central Park. The weather was beautiful (only time all weekend) and after my legs warmed up, I was in the zone. I felt unstoppable and gained confidence that I can run this race!

Sunday: rest


I headed back to DC today and honestly, didn't have the time or energy to fit a workout in.

Tidbits

  • Legs are feeling much better!  I'm icing, resting, using my compression socks and rolling my legs almost every day.
  • I tried VEGA over the weekend and loved it.  I bought a bunch of packs to use!  Wait for a post mid-week where I review products I use to prepare, sustain and refuel my body.
  • I bought a Living Social deal for 5 hot yoga classes at Bikram Yoga Dupont.  I haven't tried hot yoga yet but I am looking forward to these classes!
  • The weather is beautiful here at the moment.  I can't wait to run in nicer weather!

If you're training for a race, how's it going?  Do you find it difficult to fit in exercise with the rest of your daily activities and commitments?

2 comments:

  1. yayy for a LivingSocial deal!

    Do you find that your appetite changes when your mileage goes up or is that a myth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! My appetite has increased significantly. I find myself hungry allllll the time when I do a lot of miles!

      Delete

Run wild with your comments!